We left Paris yesterday, and before the whole experience starts to fade into our next round of experiences in London, I will try to capture some of the thoughts and feelings that are fresh in my mind.
First of all, we had the warmest welcome to Paris that I can possibly imagine. Our good friend back home has a cousin in Paris, F., whom she put us in contact with before we arrived in Paris. F. and his wife, M., generously invited us to have dinner at their home on the first evening that we arrived in Paris. We took the subway to their house just outside of the city limits of Paris (with a short delay owing to taking one of the trains in the wrong direction initially- it was the only time that happened in all of the many subways rides we took over the course of the week.) We entered a doorway on a very busy street and found ourselves winding through a sweet, narrow garden courtyard with apartment doors tucked along the two walls on either side. At the end of the garden path we arrived at their house, went upstairs to find a beautiful table set on the terrace overlooking the garden below.

M. and F. greeted us like longtime friends, and introduced us to their sweet boys and a friend who was staying with them, who happens to live near us back home! M. had prepared an incredible feast, Claire (uncharacteristically) commented that it was "the best meal I've ever had!" There were snacks waiting when we arrived, joined by appetizers, a first course including the most delicious roasted sweet peppers marinated in olive oil and herbs, as well as lentil and spinach salad, followed by a main course of duck, risotto made especially for Katherine knowing she was a vegetarian, followed by potatoes au gratin...we were so full and grateful! Then we came inside and M. made fresh homemade raspberry sorbet! Then tea and pastries... Even thinking about it now, I am overcome with gratitude for all the work and care that went into creating such a special, elaborate meal for our family, whom they had never met before that evening. And to add something unbelievably precious on top of all that, M. (one of the top violinists in the world) played her violin for us. It was exquisite.
The whole evening was definitely one of the greatest highlights for me of our time in Paris, to have met such inspiring and generous new friends. I have been wondering, how such kindnesses are ever repaid, and I can't help but think that they really can't be. There is no possible 'equivalent' repayment for such profound kindness freely given, and that can be an intimidating aspect of opening oneself up to new friends and new, even wonderful, experiences like this (and likely also true for the kindness of dear, longtime friendships as well). It seems that the only true 'reciprocation' for such generosity is in fact to allow one's own heart to be drawn open wider, to pour more of one's own love into the world, whenever possible.
Our time in Paris was not particularly easy for me. I came down with a high fever and flu for a couple of days. The stamina of kids to see and do much in a new, especially foreign, environment, is sometimes extremely low. I found myself disappointed some days in what we were able to do and the state of our collective attitudes. This trip is trying to teach me about being in a place of acceptance, of myself and my family even when they (or I) are struggling. That's part of all of life, but it has been magnified in this situation of intensive togetherness.
On another note, other highlights of Paris for me were the Musee de L'Orangerie. We all could have stayed there for a long time, drinking in the huge Monet paintings. I loved watching Claire in this museum, excited to discover the magic of this painting style, looking up close and far away, examining all the colors that appeared as brown, realizing brown was not even present; and carefully taking photos of all her favorite paintings downstairs.



A visit from our dear, dear friend Erin Gee coming in from Stuttgart for a one night stay, was also definitely a highlight. We watched a DVD of an original opera she had composed and had performed. We went out for a repeat Falafel eating experience at L'As du Falafel, and spent some time walking around the city with her. Thanks for making the trip over to see us, Erin!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad by Heather
Location:High St,Kingussie,United Kingdom
Thank you for sharing heather! your description of the dinner in Paris is amazing, and reminds me a lot of what I have been thinking about in my first weeks back home. I have definitely felt some culture shock back in the US! I am happy to be here, and love so much about it, but there was something slow and generous about the culture in both Senegal and France--an emphasis not on our own selves but on nurturing and feeding and loving other people which you described so well in this post. I only hope I can bring that into our lives here! miss u guys
ReplyDeletexo