Tuesday, May 3, 2011

La Escuela en España (School in Spain)

We have been in Spain for the last 6 days. Today, my sisters Claire, Samantha, and I went to school with the Morrisons, the family we're visiting. It was a very interesting experience. They go to a Spanish Waldorf school in southern Spain, and there were very few kids there who spoke English. They learn most of the same things as us, but instead of having Spanish as there second language, it's English! It was very hard for my friend Jess in the beginning, knowing hardly any Spanish, and having only one other English speaking student in her class. But now she's really good. "Wow. I'm almost fluent," Jess said, after asking for directions to a store that sold paper cups in a town we were staying in called Montserrat. So today during class, she had to translate everything for me. "She's asking if you know how to do this math, because you can do it on another piece of paper," "She says that if you don't like the cake, you can have an apple," I heard all day long. During break, Jess translated a whole conversation between me and her friend Elea.
School in Spain was a very neat experience. I thought it was very good for me to get to experience a school of life in a different culture. I think that people who spend a little bit of their lives in a different country will learn and gain a lot.




going to school




The school yard








Sam and Marina playing in the sand








Posted using BlogPress from my iPad by KATHERINE even if it says Ben

Location:Calle del Poeta Miguel Hernández,L'Alfàs del Pi,Spain


2 comments:

  1. lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to go! :{

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool that you guys were able to go to their school! What a neat treat!

    ReplyDelete